Hello, and thank you for your interest in Shadocon 2013’s Cosplay Showcase! If you have a passion for making costumes and props from scratch and with great detail and fantastic props, then this is the contest for you! Shadocon’s Cosplay Showcase is a technical based contest judged on craftsmanship, technical achievements, and likeness to original/reference design, and requires a prejudging of all entries. So rev up your sewing machines, start building those crazy props, and send in your best costumes because we’re going to have a fantastic show this year!
- Best In Show
- Best Individual
- Best Group
- Best Novice
- Best Technical
- Best Prop
- Fan Favorite
- Judge’s Award(s)
1. Costumes can be of anime, video game, comic, sci-fi, fantasy, and movie/television origin. Original designs will not be permitted. ALL COSTUMES MUST BE PG-13!
2. Reference photos must be available at time of pre-judging. Color images are preferred, but not mandatory. In-Progress photos are not required, but are also encouraged, as they give us a better idea of the work you put in to your costume.
3. You will sign up when you arrive to the pre-judging room.
4. Unfortunately we will not be taking music submissions for your walk-ons.
5. For each contestant/group, you will have a time slot of 45 seconds to walk on the stage, strike 2-3 poses, and then walk off. Practice your walking on and off and poses beforehand to make sure you make the most of your allotted time!
6. There is a 75-entry max in effect. Every contestant must be present at the stage presentation to qualify for awards. Groups have a limit of 15 members. No exceptions.
7. All costumes must be 80% hand-made. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your concerns. In groups, if one member made most of the costumes and each costume falls under the 80% guideline, you still qualify. We have a zero-tolerance for commissioned costumes, as this is to celebrate those who worked hard to make costumes with their own hands. If you commissioned your prop, it will not be judged.
8. For our cosplayers with stage fright: You may use a model for this contest. But you must be present for pre-judging to answer questions for the judges, and be present at the stage presentation to accept any awards.
9. For our cosplayers with limited mobility/vision: You are allowed one handler per cosplayer (ex: if you have a group of five, you are allowed five handlers. If you are presenting by yourself, you’re allowed one). We will have additional staffers present, just in case.
10. You MUST be present for the stage presentation to qualify. This means being on-time for line ups (about 30 minutes prior to the presentation). We will be doing roll-call several times to make sure everyone is present. You will be meeting inside of Main Events for line up before we bring you backstage.
11. If you do not think you can walk on stage due to your costume, we can let you walk in front. Your safety comes first.
12. Your personal belongings are your responsibility. Our staff cannot guarantee they will be able to be watched during the presentation. We will have an area for you to put your things, but can only accommodate so many bags, so please try to not bring large amounts of personal belongings with you.
If you have any questions regarding the rules, your submission, the contest, or anything else, please do not hesitate to email us at email@example.com! Good luck!